Parent Relocation

New York Parent Relocation & Child Custody Modification Attorney Helping Families in Ulster, Orange, & Dutchess County

If you need advice on either side of a parent relocation issue – that is, moving to a distant city or another state with a former spouse’s child – contact the skilled family law attorney, Jonathan D. Katz, in Saugerties. I can help either the relocating parent or the parent remaining behind develop a reliable sense of the rights and responsibilities inherent in the situation, and help protect your interests. I serve clients throughout the Hudson Valley and the Catskill region, including Ulster, Dutchess, Orange, Greene and Columbia counties.

New York Parent Relocation Cases are Often won Depending on the Reason for the Move

In most cases, the proposal to move away from area comes up after a final child custody order and parenting time schedule is in place. As a result, moving away can be expected to have a significant effect on the interest of the noncustodial parent to maintain a close relationship with his or her child, as well as on the child’s interest in sustained contact with both parents. Because it will interfere with court-approved visitation arrangements, a parental relocation proposal will need to be approved by the court.

A New York family court judge is likely to grant a relocation proposal if it is submitted in good faith and supported by sound reasons. Career or educational opportunities are the most frequent reasons advanced by the proponent of the move. The court must also find that the move is in the child’s best interests. The parent moving away should try to work out alternative visitation or custody arrangements that meet the needs of both the child and the other parent.

A Parental Move-Away Without the Court’s Approval Might be a Federal Crime

Although New York law has no specific statute addressing the procedures of a proposed relocation, it is clear that the permission of the court is necessary to avoid the risk of criminal liability. It’s against the law to interfere with court-ordered visitation rights, and moving out of state or to another country without court approval would certainly amount to interference.

At the same time, objections to the proposed move should be based on the child’s interests, not the opposing parent’s convenience. The additional expenses involved in long-distance visitation, however, should be taken into account in working out new visitation arrangements.

Experienced Family Law Attorney in Poughkeepsie

I can help you reach mutually acceptable terms in parent relocation cases, and I can present your case in court whenever negotiations fail to yield a satisfactory result. To learn how an experienced lawyer’s advice can help you understand and protect your rights in a parent relocation case, contact us calling (845) 834-4747 (toll free (866) 614-8872 from the U.S.) or fill out the online contact form to schedule your consultation with Jonathan D. Katz.

Client Reviews
I was living a nightmare of being falsely accused in a judicial system that considers all fathers to be dead beat dads until proven innocent. Living out of state and facing the possibility of jail, I miraculously found Jon’s website and called his office. Within a week the tables were turned, the lies were exposed, and the harassment was stopped. If you need someone that will challenge the system, then you need Jonathan Katz. Greg Weaver
Jon’s integrity towards his clients is what makes him a standout attorney. He makes it a priority to know what's important to you. You’re not just a number. He is upfront with you right from the start. He will not string you along just for his financial benefit. He is only willing to settle the case if that's truly what you want. Anytime I called him I received a call back from him that day. Not someone else in the office. He is an attorney that has a passion for what's important to his clients. John Morrissey
Being a single mom, I had enough stress in my life. I had no idea how to go about protecting myself. My daughters were my priority. Jon walked me through the process. He turned a difficult time into a workable solution. Diane Chiriani
Jon thinks well, works to be clear and honest. He works to get to a strong argument. He seems to have a good working relationship with everybody at the courthouse. I get the feeling he has no trouble thinking like a judge. He is friendly and courteous. He doesn't overbill. He takes and returns calls promptly. His legal staff is friendly and competent. What's not to like? Rick S.
I liked that there was always transparency throughout my case. Genevieve H.