New York Child Support Enforcement Lawyer Protecting Your Rights in Goshen, Kingston, Hudson Valley, & Catskills

Any court order is binding on the parties covered by its terms, but the full enjoyment of your rights under the order depends on your practical ability to enforce it. If you need advice about the enforcement of an order for child support or alimony, or if you need to find your way past a problem with obligations in default, I can help you. Contact the office of Jonathan D. Katz, Attorney at Law. From my office in Saugerties, I serve clients throughout the Hudson Valley and the Catskill region, including Ulster, Dutchess, Orange, Greene and Columbia counties.

Child Support and Alimony Obligations Have Real Teeth in New York State

Contempt of court backed up by the realistic threat of jail is the most common sanction for enforcement of child and spousal support obligations in the family courts of the Hudson Valley and the Catskill region. The party seeking enforcement first presents the facts to a magistrate, then if a default is found, the issue of willfulness is tried before a family court judge.

The party in default faces a finding of contempt of court and the prospect of jail if the default is not cured within a reasonable period, usually from 15 to 60 days in length, depending on the circumstances.

I can help you decide whether the default is serious enough to justify the trouble of this two-stage procedure, and make sure that the facts of the missed obligations are presented clearly and accurately to the court. If you happen to be the party in default, I can let you know whether your reasons for missing the payments are likely to generate any sympathy with the court and make sure that the complaining party’s facts are not exaggerated. If there is no doubt as to the fact of the default, I can help you get the time you need to cure it.

New York Child Custody and Visitation Arrangements are Also Subject to Enforcement

Although it is unusual for an order for contempt to be issued on a showing of repeated or continuing default on child custody or visitation orders, a family court judge can still make life difficult for the parent who routinely cancels visitation sessions or returns the child late to the other parent. In more serious situations, the aggrieved parent can move for an order of restricted or supervised visitation.

Call Today for a Consultation with an Experienced Divorce Lawyer

If a person’s chronic problems with drug or alcohol abuse are a factor in poor parenting performance, the best remedy will usually be a motion for modification of the child custody or visitation arrangements.

To learn more about the legal and practical aspects of family court enforcement procedures in the Hudson Valley or Catskill region, contact us calling (845) 328-2159 or toll-free (866) 843-6388 or fill out the online contact form to schedule your consultation with Jonathan D. Katz.

Client Reviews
I was living a nightmare of being falsely accused in a judicial system that considers all fathers to be dead beat dads until proven innocent. Living out of state and facing the possibility of jail, I miraculously found Jon’s website and called his office. Within a week the tables were turned, the lies were exposed, and the harassment was stopped. If you need someone that will challenge the system, then you need Jonathan Katz. Greg Weaver
Jon’s integrity towards his clients is what makes him a standout attorney. He makes it a priority to know what's important to you. You’re not just a number. He is upfront with you right from the start. He will not string you along just for his financial benefit. He is only willing to settle the case if that's truly what you want. Anytime I called him I received a call back from him that day. Not someone else in the office. He is an attorney that has a passion for what's important to his clients. John Morrissey
Being a single mom, I had enough stress in my life. I had no idea how to go about protecting myself. My daughters were my priority. Jon walked me through the process. He turned a difficult time into a workable solution. Diane Chiriani
Jon thinks well, works to be clear and honest. He works to get to a strong argument. He seems to have a good working relationship with everybody at the courthouse. I get the feeling he has no trouble thinking like a judge. He is friendly and courteous. He doesn't overbill. He takes and returns calls promptly. His legal staff is friendly and competent. What's not to like? Rick S.
I liked that there was always transparency throughout my case. Genevieve H.