Child Support Modification

Kingston Child Support Modification Attorney Helping Families & Clients in Ulster, Orange, & Dutchess County

A divorce becomes final with a court order, but a divorce agreement is never really final. Overtime, circumstances change for the better or worse. Children grow up, parents may lose jobs, change careers or move across state lines. Divorce agreements are not meant to be written in stone. They can be modified to reflect life changes.

Modifying Child Support Based on Your Children’s Best Interests in New York

I am divorce attorney Jonathan D. Katz with more than 36 years of family law experience in the Kingston, Hudson Valley, Rochester, Woodstock, & New Paltz area. I understand firsthand the changes in life that could prompt a modification to your divorce agreement. Income levels can fluctuate significantly based on career moves, relocations and other life changes.

If you or your spouse’s income level has been modified at least 15 percent, the amount of child support you pay or receive could be adjusted. You are also entitled to pursue a child support modification every three years based on your child’s best interests. Contact my family law firm in Saugerties today to learn how I can help address your child support modification concerns.

Defining the Factors Used to Modify Child Support in Ulster County

Both parents have an obligation to ensure their children are cared for financially during and after a divorce. The amount parents pay can increase or decrease based on substantial changes in financial circumstances. I have a strong background helping clients enforce or modify child support arrangements based on a variety of circumstances, including:

  • Additional obligations to financially support children from a different marriage or relationship
  • Changes in the amount of visitation time a parent spends with his or her children
  • Medical and educational needs of the supported child
  • New job increasing the non-custodial parent’s income level
  • Job loss affecting how much the non-custodial parent can pay

I am committed to representing mothers and fathers seeking to modify or enforce child support arrangements. New York Child support can be adjusted through proving the non-custodial parent has had a significant and continued change in financial circumstances. If either you or your ex has lost a job, this could prompt a modification to child support.

Child custody arrangements can also cause child support to be modified. For example, if the custodial parent becomes unfit to parent based on mental illness, drug addiction or possibly alcohol dependency, the custody arrangement could be modified. When custody agreements change, child support can ultimately be modified. Every case is fact specific. I have the skills and legal resources to help you navigate through the modification process.

Contact a Skilled Kingston Child Support Lawyer Helping Families in Ulster, Dutchess, & Orange County

Family situations change over time. If your income level has increased or decreased at least 15 percent, your child support arrangement could be modified. Contact my Kingston & Hudson Valley law firm today to schedule a consultation in Saugerties, New York, for help modifying or enforcing your child support arrangement.

Client Reviews
I was living a nightmare of being falsely accused in a judicial system that considers all fathers to be dead beat dads until proven innocent. Living out of state and facing the possibility of jail, I miraculously found Jon’s website and called his office. Within a week the tables were turned, the lies were exposed, and the harassment was stopped. If you need someone that will challenge the system, then you need Jonathan Katz. Greg Weaver
Jon’s integrity towards his clients is what makes him a standout attorney. He makes it a priority to know what's important to you. You’re not just a number. He is upfront with you right from the start. He will not string you along just for his financial benefit. He is only willing to settle the case if that's truly what you want. Anytime I called him I received a call back from him that day. Not someone else in the office. He is an attorney that has a passion for what's important to his clients. John Morrissey
Being a single mom, I had enough stress in my life. I had no idea how to go about protecting myself. My daughters were my priority. Jon walked me through the process. He turned a difficult time into a workable solution. Diane Chiriani
Jon thinks well, works to be clear and honest. He works to get to a strong argument. He seems to have a good working relationship with everybody at the courthouse. I get the feeling he has no trouble thinking like a judge. He is friendly and courteous. He doesn't overbill. He takes and returns calls promptly. His legal staff is friendly and competent. What's not to like? Rick S.
I liked that there was always transparency throughout my case. Genevieve H.